Community State Bank’s history began in 1940 when local businesses expressed a need for a financial center to serve our area’s miners, loggers, farmers, and families. In response, CSB opened its doors in St. Charles, Michigan on December 15, 1941 with deposits of $424,847 and three employees. Since that day, the bank has expanded many times, both financially and physically. It has thrived on maintaining its local independent management and community focus.Community State Bank benefited from the knowledge of its first president, Peter A. Hartley, a prominent St. Charles merchant and landowner. Following its rapid growth in the 1940′s, CSB became very involved with municipal issues that helped fund many major public facilities in St. Charles in the 1950s. Originally the bank was located in a building constructed in 1926, which now houses Tony’s Restaurant. The corner location of that office provided the opportunity to offer the latest banking service trend to the St. Charles community — a ‘drive-in’ window.
The neighboring community of Shields on the west side of Saginaw was the bank’s next site. Under the leadership of Executive Vice President and Cashier, Robert F. Loomis, Community State Bank continued its growth and an office was opened in 1962 and expanded in 1968.
Meanwhile, the St. Charles office had grown to capacity and a new office was constructed a block away from the original building and opened in 1967.
The 1970s saw CSB grow in assets from $13 million to $35 million. CEO & President Robert Loomis and the Board of Directors saw opportunity for additional growth in the Chesaning community, south of St. Charles. A temporary office was opened on December 11, 1978. The permanent office saw its first day of business in January 1980.
A need to expand the bank’s computer facility led to the opening of the Operations Center in St. Charles in March 1989. In addition to data processing, the building houses the bookkeeping, marketing, personnel and purchasing departments.
Growth continued in the 1990s. James F. Delemeester became President of Community State Bank in March 1994. CSB celebrated its sixtieth second anniversary in 2003. Our staff has grown to over 81 employees in four facilities. In 1941 capital account totaled about $32 thousand. Current figures put capital accounts for the bank at about $15 million.
In November of 2003, we branched out yet again. A new state-of-the-art branch, with all of the latest in technology was built in downtown Birch Run. The technology in the new branch is incredible, the two- way camera drive up window is a must see if you are visiting Birch Run. This new facility has been a welcome addition to the Birch Run area, and our customer base is growing daily.
2003 was also the year that we unveiled Online Banking with Bill Payment option to our customers. This service has been an overwhelming success. Customers are now able to view checks, look at their account statements, make transfers and even pay bills all from the comfort of their homes.
At the beginning of December 2007, Community State Bank acquired Montrose State Bank (MSB). MSB was a small, community-based bank that had been in business for almost 120 years. With the acquisition of a bank that shared our values, we were able to offer better products and services for our customers- and offer them from more locations. With the acquisition of MSB, we gained four additional offices in Montrose, Flushing, Albee Township and New Lothrop; and grew our assets to $189 million and deposits to $167 million.